Young Academy was created to generate effective and transformative changes in the classroom to better meet the needs of today’s gifted, talented and high ability scholars.
Young Academy is founded on the principles that gifted, talented and high ability scholars:
- Thrive in an educational setting with other advanced scholars where the curriculum is differentiated to meet their particular passions.
- Require thoughtful attention to their social/emotional development due to heightened sensitivity and vulnerability in settings where their unusual cognitive profiles are misunderstood.
- Require a curriculum based upon student interests, emphasizing initiative and originality, created and delivered by dynamic, trained teachers.
- Do not thrive in a traditional classroom setting in which their skills are not challenged, and will often form the belief that learning requires no effort.
- Require teachers who are trained to select, rearrange, and adapt the content of curriculum to the mental caliber of each student they teach.
- The essential purpose of education is to empower learners to fully develop their talents and abilities.
- Gifted and talented scholars and those with high abilities need special education programs that will challenge them in regular classroom settings and enrichment and accelerated programs to enable them to make continuous progress.
- Education must cultivate creativity, higher order thinking, innovation, a commitment to excellence and problem solving skills.
- The leaders of tomorrow must learn to be idealistic, pragmatic, holistic, action-oriented, compassionate and purposeful.
Each scholar is paired with a faculty advisor to address the intellectual, physical, emotional and social needs of the scholar and:
- Support Intellectual Growth
- Build Resiliency
- Encourage Global Citizenship